Yesterday at the workshop I was talking about values. Three of us – Teresa Carnall, Hector Riva-Palacio and me – tackled the issue of procrastination. Yes, that was a fabulous challenge!
Professionally I always address the issue of values with my coaching clients, explaining that the only way forward would be in line with your values.
Your values are your inner compass.
Identifying and understanding values is a challenging and important exercise. Your personal values are a central part of who you are, and who you want to be. By being aware of these important factors in your life, you can use them as a guide to make the best choice in any situation.
How does it work? After all, values are just abstract notions. The definition is the following: ‘The moral principle or accepted standards of a person or a group.’
Values are hierarchical and dynamic concepts that essentially describe what we desire or seek to achieve. We may hold values such as loyalty, truthfulness, stability, love and many others. Both values and beliefs shape the way we view ourselves and the world around us. They act as filters for our perceptions and actually create our maps of reality.
In everyday life, we don’t think about values clearly unless we intentionally decide to be aware of them. That is why thinking of values requires some insights and philosophical approach.
Value elicitation and putting them in the priority order is lengthy exercise and it is worth every minute. It might be quite bewildering to choose between “loyalty” and “stability” if they are both your values. As I explain to my clients – they are still your values, we just establish your values hierarchy.
By the end of this exercise looking at those values, you just established in that particular order, you are uncovering Your Sacred Truth.
For many people it is quite a surprise that all over a sudden they understand themselves and it is becoming so clear why they reacted the way they did – broke relationship, gave up on the job or any other actions, previously they could not explain, just felt. Your values are criteria for decisions you make, they are responsible for your feelings, they are behind all your actions and behaviors.
Working with any goal it is vital to check if those goals are congruent with personal values. If they are, a person is more determined, motivated and is ready to succeed.
If you would like to have an idea how it works, start with this 15 minutes exercise – VALUES
For a solid values elicitation exercise and how to make it work for you, get in touch.
Share This Post
- The Courage to Think and to Act. November 28 2016
- Mental Toughness in Sport and Life February 18 2014
- STRESS… You know how to handle it, a few more tips to empower you. May 10 2013
- Confidence. In case you need a boost… September 24 2013
- Deal with it, Get over and Get on! March 25 2013
- Don’t suffer from secondary stress August 30 2018
- How we are thriving to become a High Performing Team. August 28 2018
- How a Coaching Circle works as a leadership tool for high-performing teams. August 17 2018
- Sharpen your curiosity for more discoveries. July 9 2018
- Your Sacred Truth – Your Values April 10 2018
- coaching success life style empower resilience #awarenes #changes personal strengths stress management positive outlook values attitude stress new year's resolutions Life coaching Mental toughness #actions motivation love achievement perspective insight strategy coaching circle #awareness #alert #liveonce